Friday 7 December 2018

A letter to Anne Heggerty ...

Anne Heggerty 
(aka The Governess on ITV's The Chase) 
is currently participating in I'm a Celebrity 2018 on ITV. 

Anne Heggerty via National Autistic Society

As a result of the overwhelmingly positive response to Anne, both in & out of the camp, I muted the idea of 
"A Party for Anne" 
in a tweet to both ITV & the NAS, suggesting an invitee list of later diagnosed autistic women to thank Anne for the positive impact she's having & to show the world who we are.

I know that a party probably sounds like a contradiction in terms for an autistic community & it may be why not a single sole has responded to my suggestion (working hard to overcome my autistic tendency to take this personally) but I still think it's a god idea in principle.

Especially as, for the very same reason, 
the The National Autistic Society is now inviting 
"Messages for Anne"
to be submitted for inclusion in 

So, in response to that request, this is
"A Letter to Anne".

~0~


Dear Anne

I am writing to you as a fellow autistic woman diagnosed later in life. Aware of your diagnosis from an article about you in the NAS members' magazine, I was really delighted to see that you'd be taking part in I'm a Celebrity &, for the first time in a while, I made an appointment to view from day one.  I have watched religiously every day since (although executive functioning challenges mean I'm usually watching an hour later than most people & having to rewind often!).

I empathise with your struggle in the early couple of days.  Your description of it during your exit interview put me in mind of arriving at our holiday home this year & the children's (& my) initial reaction to it ... although, obviously the two don't literally compare!  We are what I'd term an "autism rich" family ~ there are a few of us & I do what I can to keep us focussed on the positives - but I am painfully aware of the challenges we face trying to get by in situations where we are not always understood or accepted.

Often all we need is a little kindness ... a little patience & time (the two most powerful warriors, according to Leo Tolstoy) ... & one of the things that I've been so reassured & relieved to witness is the kindness you've experienced & so eloquently acknowledged.  

And I was very pleased to see the easy way it appeared campmates would ask about your autism.  I wish more people would do that.  I'd be very happy for people to ask me about how autism affects me & mine so thank you ~ & your fellow campmates ~ for showing such conversations are OK to have.  They help us all understand where we stand & how to help & relate to each other & just be together more successfully. 

I know you were happy to leave the jungle but I, for one, miss you being there ... & I'm gutted we didn't get to hear your letter!  Many of the snippets of insight you shared ~ & had ~ resonated strongly with me & I will miss those "me too" moments.

I hope the transition to the hotel has been easier & significantly more pleasurable than the initial transition into camp.

I'm very much looking forward to the final shows, to see you again, & I hope we all see & hear a lot more of you going forward.  

Many thanks Anne for taking on this challenge.  Out of all the stars in the jungle, you shine the most for me!

An #alsoautistic wellwisher.

~0~

Oh for goodness sake (that wasn't what I actually said but this is a public space) ~ I've been so busy "getting by" that I've missed the deadline ... I didn't know from the original request what the deadline was & I needed time to do this right but it seems, in my case, there wasn't enough patience & time for my needs ... yet another executive functioning failure!

Fudge, as my boys would say.

Publishing anyway ... I hope this Letter to Anne will reach her eventually. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will respond as appropriate as soon as I'm able. Offensive comments will be removed in the interests of maintaining a safe environment for other visitors. Thank you.