Monday 11 June 2018

Awe & Wonder ... Wonder & Awe

This musing was captured & shared by me on social media last week.

Awe & Wonder Thoughts on Autism, An Affinity with A

I've worried since that some might have thought I was going a bit overboard with the awe & wonder bit.

But, in fact, I do often look at my children with awe & wonder.  I often look at the world around with with wonder & awe.  I think I only knew the meaning of a miracle when I met my first child, face to face, for the very first time ... when I was lucky enough to see 3D scans of my second & third, together.   Well, they are miracles to me.  Others will have other miracles ~ miracles will be a very personal thing, I'm sure.

I wonder in awe at the baby who learns to focus, smile, cry, roll & eventually, all being well, walk.  At the bee gathering pollen & the butterfly emerging from a chrysalis, at the earth, the oceans, moon, & stars, at acts of human kindness & at many humankind creations (although not all).

And the more I learn about autism & the autistic brain & how it manifests in so many different ways, the more in awe & wonder of life I become ... the more fascinated I become.  I experience many other emotions too, mind ~ not all positive ~ but this post is about awe & wonder so I will attempt not to distract myself from that!

Autism related or not, I am in awe & wonder often.  
But isn't it wild to think that the human brain is the most complicated object in the known universe (according to Michio Kaku, an American Physicist).  

Which sort of leads me to the original point of my musings of last week which were captured to shine a light on the fact that our general understanding of autism, of neurodiversity, is limited still & that we are all "different, not less" (quoting Temple Grandin) & when difference is understood, accepted & accommodated ~ by which I mean society works in a way that enables all differences to co-exist without prejudice (intended or otherwise) ~ when difference promotes genuine interest, then we've gotten somewhere.

So, yeah, I stand by including awe & wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will respond as appropriate as soon as I'm able. Offensive comments will be removed in the interests of maintaining a safe environment for other visitors. Thank you.