Friday 31 March 2017

Autism Awareness Advertising


It's Autism Awareness Week & Sunday, April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day.

I'd planned to be more active than usual this week, to amplify any messages arising out of these much needed initiatives.

After all, contributing to autism awareness was one of the reasons I created this space.

But, instead, I've needed to pay more attention to autism at home.  That's just the way it is ~ I'm nothing if not flexible!  And, actually, any day is a day to promote & appeal for awareness, acceptance, understanding & accommodation of autism & autistic individuals.

Having said that, I stumbled upon an available half hour or so, & I had this draft post ready to be revisited, so here I am, assuaging the guilt of not having supported Autism Awareness more so this week with the work of another who, in my view, has done a pretty good job at illustrating & highlighting some of the characteristics of autism.

It's an autism awareness advertising campaign I stumbled across at Behance.net created for the Autism Society of Pakistan by Hina Nazi.  I've copied out the copy, so to speak, for ease of reference but I think the strength of the campaign is really in the imagery & headlines.

Perhaps a little has been lost in translation, but I do have to say that I don't agree wholly with all of the wording used in the body copy & I have resisted the temptation to tweak ... but, then again, I must put on record that I would substitute 'temper tantrums' for 'meltdowns' as the two are very different.  Another day I may expand on that!

I hope it's helpful.


Hina Nazir via Behance.net 

MY BRAIN CANNOT FILTER OUT INFORMATION
Autistic individuals may be unable to filter out unwanted information and therefore perceive all the stimuli around them.  Such 'acute perception' brings an overwhelming amount of information which their brain has difficulty in interpreting.

Hina Nazir via Behance.net 

MY SOCIAL SKILLS ARE BROKEN
It is difficult for an autistic individual to interpret overt emotional expressions by other people, for instance facial expressions and body language.  Likewise they have difficulty communicating what they want to convey.

Hina Nazir via Behance.net 

MAKING EYE CONTACT IS QUITE DEMANDING
Making direct eye contact with people may be an overwhelming act for an autistic individual since it may be providing more information to an autistic individual than it would to an ordinary person.

Hina Nazir via Behance.net 

MY SENSES WEIGH ME DOWN
People diagnosed with autism may show signs of sensitivity towards one or more of their senses.  For example, people talking in a normal tone of voice may seem too loud to the point of being unbearable.

Hina Nazir via Behance.net 

INSTEAD OF WORDS THERE ARE BLANK SPACES
Autistic individuals may exhibit a limited vocabulary.  Therefore vocal communication may be hard for them, especially when they simply do not have the words to describe their feelings.

Hina Nazir via Behance.net 

MY EMOTIONS MAY EXPLODE
As autistic individuals have profound difficulties in understanding others and in communicating with them, it is hardly surprising for frustration, anger and anxiety to build up that can lead to temper tantrums.

Hina Nazir via Behance.net 

NO TWO AUTISTIC INDIVIDUALS ARE ALIKE
People with autism have varied skills, interests, abilities, characteristics, gifts, talents and needs.  No two autistic people experience it with the same intensity.  Their symptoms may vary from mild to extreme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will respond as appropriate as soon as I'm able. Offensive comments will be removed in the interests of maintaining a safe environment for other visitors. Thank you.